Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why I Became a Yankees Fan

Many of my friends are astonished that I could like the Yankees when I did not grow up in New York or anywhere near it. But for me, being a fan of the game has been more than just supporting the team I live near. It is about tradition for me and my dad, which is why I was brought up loving the Yankees. My dad grew up in New Jersey, and spent much of his childhood in Yankee stadium, watching Roger Maris hit homeruns 58 and 59 and watching Mel Stottlemyre hit an inside-the-park grand slam, along with countless other classic Yankee moments. For my dad, baseball, especially Yankees baseball, is more than a sport; it's a tradition, a way of life. He is one of those fans that cares more about how the the team wins than how much they win. He believes in the pride and essence of the Yankees. Sure, he wants them to win as much as the next guy, but he wants them to win the right way. It is a philosophy that I can't say I always want to agree with, but it is one that I respect, for I agree that baseball is about more than winning, but about the game itself, and the memories and tradition that go along with it. My dad taught me what it means to be a Yankee fan, and for that, I am forever indebted to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment